The Journey to Self through SoulCollage®

The Ego, Jung tells us, is that part of the pyche that we think of as 'I'. Our conscious intelligence. Our everyday brain that thinks, plans and runs the show of our day-to-day life. The Self, as Jung defined it, is a greater entity, which includes the Ego but also incorporates the Personal and Collective Unconscious. Dreams and intuitions come from the Self. The archetypes of the unconscious dwell there. It is, Jung believed, the sphere of the Soul ~~Steven Pressfield. 'The War of Art'

"I would love to live like a river flows,
 carried by the surprise
 of its own unfolding".

 ~ ~John O'Donohue


Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Getting creative at Fibre Arts Ballarat 'Reliquaries & Shrines' workshop

I've just arrived back from Melbourne (LOVE Melbourne!) where I spent a wonderful week with my sister, Lynne, after attending a five-day art workshop at Fibre Arts Ballarat, convened by Fibre Arts Australia.  The experience of being back at boarding school again was a bit surreal (it was a live-in forum at the Ballarat Grammar School) but fortunately boarding school is 200% better than when I attended boarding school in Armidale NSW more years ago than I care to remember!

The workshop I attended, 'Reliquaries & Shrines for Pleasure' was taught by the wonderful and very talented Christine Atkins from Western Australia. Visit Chris's website to be inspired by her beautiful, numinous artworks.

I needed to take a whole extra case of checked-through baggage on the plane, loaded with tools and other paraphernalia, including an electric drill, a router (or laminate trimmer), large clamps and various other items usually found only in hardware stores or the backyard sheds of 'blokes'. I can now router, drill and hammer with the best of them!

Suffice to say that I haven't worked so hard for a long time and it took me a few days to recover under the tender ministrations of my sister in Melbourne later!

However, what FUN it was, and so satisfying and inspiring, and I learnt so many new techniques. I'm now excited to be the proud owner of my own beautiful hand-made shrine, although unlike the other participants, I didn't quite finish mine (I didn't get time to assemble and put in my treasures) so you will have to wait for a picture of the completely finished shrine, which began as a block of virgin wood. Meanwhile, here it is below at the exhibition on the last night where all participants in the 12 or so workshops were able to show off their inspiring creations. I'd love to show you everyone else's shrines but feel I shouldn't post pictures without getting their permission first.

I LOVED the routering!

Demonstration for making the doors.

More-or-less finished  (both the shrine and me!)

Yes, those are rusty nails around the edge and I rusted them myself (I love rusty stuff!). We also cut and etched the copper around the doors. I can't wait to see what else I can conjure up in my studio in the future using the techniques I've learnt. 

To see the Ballarat workshop programme for 2014, go here.
You'll notice that some workshops are already full so if you're interested to attend, I suggest you book in soon. 

There are also forums in Ballarat and other cities between now and then. I can highly recommend the experience!

No comments: